Jane is a Partner in the charity and social business team, advising organisations on all aspects of employment law including:-
- Advising on organisational change including restructure and merger; advising on the application of the Transfer of Undertakings Regulations (TUPE) 2006;
- Drafting and reviewing employment documentation including contracts, consultancy agreements, staff handbooks and volunteer agreements;
- Advising on the implementation of internal procedures including disciplinary, grievance, restructuring and redundancy;
- Drafting and negotiating settlement agreements;
- Defending Employment Tribunal proceedings.
Jane acts for a wide range of non-profit making organisations including religious bodies, educational institutions, think tanks and city guilds.
Some of her recent work includes:
- Advising on the transfer of staff under the Tupe regulations in a large number of mergers and transfers;
- Drafting a staff Handbook for the international charity Movember;
- Undertaking HR due diligence in relation to the merger of two national charities providing services to blind people;
- Advising a higher education institution on the harmonisation of employment contracts across faculties for full time, fractional and hourly paid lecturers;
- Reviewing the employment contracts and staff policies of four merging regeneration charities with a view to future harmonisation;
- Successfully defending a higher education institution against whistleblowing claims;
Jane regularly provides training to clients in the charity and voluntary sectors and runs an annual employment law conference with the National Council for Voluntary Organisations (NCVO). She also speaks at external conferences on employment law issues for bodies such as the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) the Director of Social Change and the Charity Finance Directors Group. She frequently contributes to charity law publications. Recent publications include articles for the Chartered Institute of Personal Management on zero hours contracts and an article for Charity Finance Magazine on union recognition.
Jane partners a number of specialsit providers of employment law services for the Third Sector including Prospectus and the London Voluntary Services PEACE advice line.
She is co-author of the Russell-Cooke Legal Handbook 2010 published by the Directory of Social Change.
Jane is described as dealing "with difficult situations in a sensitive manner" (Legal 500 2011).
She studied at Lady Margaret Hall Oxford and graduated in 1982 qualifying as a solicitor in 1987. Jane became a Partner at the specialist charity firm Sinclair Taylor and Martin in 1995 and joined Russell-Cooke when the two firms merged in 2003.
Jane is a member of the Employment Lawyers Association.
search our people
Please enter your keyword(s) in the box below to search for specific members of staff.