James is an Associate Solicitor in the Children Law Team and a member of the Law Society's Children Law Accreditation Panel. He advises clients in a wide range of matters including:
- Public law proceedings where social services intervene in family life. James is experienced in representing clients in complex care proceedings including cases involving allegations of non-accidental injury to children, sexual abuse, and where criminal law matters affect the welfare of children. James has a particular interest in proceedings with an international element and has represented parents from outside the UK in cases involving jurisdictional issues.
- Arrangements for extended family members to care for children such as special guardianship orders, including the financial and other support that may be available to carers.
- Applications to adopt children. James is well placed to advise and guide clients through the adoption process as a result of his extensive experience in public law proceedings.
- Private law residence, contact, prohibited steps, and parental responsibility matters, and applications to move overseas with children (leave to remove applications).
- Applications for non-molestation orders and occupation orders. James can act at short notice in emergency cases.
James offers clients clear and practical advice focussed on the best interests of the child. He understands the importance of supporting his clients through matters that can often be unfamiliar and daunting, and undertakes much of his own advocacy He is a member of the Association of Lawyers for Children.
James has a degree in English from the University of Oxford and an MA in English from the University of Exeter. He trained at Russell-Cooke after completing his legal studies, qualifying as a solicitor in 2009.
search our people
Please enter your keyword(s) in the box below to search for specific members of staff.