Alex is a Senior Associate solicitor in the Commercial Property Group. She has specialised in the full spectrum of planning related work for several years, and has an excellent grasp of complex technical issues as well as a strategic and practical awareness which enables her to deliver effective solutions for her clients.
Alex qualified at Herbert Smith in 2004 and practised there for 8 years where she became an established Senior Associate planning solicitor. Her clients included a wide range of multi-national public and limited companies, landowners, property developers, local authorities as well as many senior investors and financial institutions. She has extensive experience in acting in an advisory capacity, in contentious matters and in transaction support.
She joined Russell-Cooke in 2012.
Examples of developments which Alex has been involved include the following:
- Advising Perenco on their planning applications for Wytch Farm, Dorset (UK's largest onshore oilfield) to extend its field life;
- Acting for a private developer on a 5.85 hectare greenfield site for an outline application including 120 dwellings on appeal;
- Obtaining planning permission for redevelopment and refurbishment of a key listed building in Trafford;
- Advising on redevelopment proposals of a 10 storey office to residential conversion for private developer to minimise CIL liability;
- An 8.5 acre mixed use development in Croydon Ruskin Square for Stanhope and Schroders;
- A successful planning appeal inquiry for mixed use redevelopment in the City of Westminster, Arundel Great Court, on the setting of the Grade I listed Somerset House on behalf of Land Securities;
- Obtaining planning permission for Land Securities in relation to their landmark redevelopment of Park House, Oxford Street and successful defeat of Judicial Review;
- Acting for Hammerson on their redevelopment of Leicester City Centre including use of CPO over a 10 hectare site;
- A successful application for certificate of lawful development for an existing use in respect of three flats becoming a single dwellinghouse;
- A successful appeal against an enforcement notice when a retrospective planning application for the development against which the enforcement notice had been served had been refused by the council and at appeal prior to instruction;
- Advising on some of the first successful prior approval applications for office B1 use to residential conversion.
She has also dealt with M&A work for a number of clients (e.g. real estate investment companies, energy companies, banks).
Alex has presented several client seminars on topics such as the variation of s.106 agreements, compulsory purchase, judicial review and the Growth and Infrastructure Act.
She has had articles published in Estates Gazette, Property News and Property Investor News and has been quoted in the Times, Sky News and Planning Magazine. She has been identified as a "rising star" in planning law by the 2013 Thomson Reuters 'Super Lawyers' publication.
Alex is a graduate of Hertford College, Oxford.
search our people
Please enter your keyword(s) in the box below to search for specific members of staff.