Clare is an associate solicitor in the charity and social business team, where she helps charities, social businesses and other third sector organisations to deal with their property.
Clare advises on a wide range of property-related matters, including:
- sales and purchases
- option agreements
- adverse possession
- community asset transfers
- more general governance/commercial/charity law matters when these interact with other things clients are seeking to achieve
Clare trained at Russell-Cooke and joined the charity and social business team upon qualification in September 2014.
- Simultaneous sale of part of a complicated piece of farmland subject to multiple rights on behalf of a religious charity.
- Advising a well-known cemetery on the sale of burial rights and the right to erect a mausoleum, and preparing original documents designed to reflect and protect the interests of the charity.
- Assisting various charities involved in the use or protection of open space and advising on and drafting documentation designed to protect their interests and to document (often complex) relationships with other parties in relation to the space.
- Advising on and negotiating community asset transfers whereby community organisations obtain substantial interests in land enabling them to invest for the future, improve buildings and use them for the benefit of their beneficiaries.
- Completing sales and leases of property, providing ongoing assistance to a national charity for the blind in respect of their investment property portfolio, and assisting operational charities when taking leases of office premises.
- Assisting enabler and benevolent organisations in providing secured loans (to other organisations, to enable them to carry out projects, or to beneficiaries in financial or other need) and in subsequently redeeming the same.
- English, Jesus College, Oxford; and a distinction in subsequent legal studies.
- Prior to joining Russell-Cooke, Clare spent some time in Mexico, learning Spanish, and volunteering with the charities Centro Esperanza Infantil (a children's charity) and Fundacion En Via (a microfinance charity) in Oaxaca. Clare speaks conversational French and Spanish.