Howard is a partner in the real estate team.
Development schemes where Howard has advised clients have included regeneration of ‘brown-field’ sites, mixed–use schemes with bespoke structures to mitigate residential enfranchisement, joint-ventures, overage agreements, government/public sector grants and complex SDLT issues.
Howard qualified in 1980 and joined Russell-Cooke as a partner in 2005 after 19 years as a partner at an international law firm in the city.
- For 30 years, representing the property development and investment arms of an enterprise group based in the South East on:
- sales, purchases and on-going leasing and management of its investment property portfolio, including disposals in anticipation of prospective redevelopment including complex overage terms
- many development/regeneration projects, from acquisition of green- or brown-field sites, JVs, overage, grant funding, planning and other infrastructure arrangements, utility company interests, environmental considerations, complex SDLT deferment clearances, commons/open land issues, through to ultimate freehold or leasehold disposals/lettings of units on completed schemes often involving management companies, or disposal of a turn-key site to ultimate developer
- its refinancing of a portfolio of properties for circa £25 million
- Leading a team of lawyers representing a charity on the property aspects of the sale for in excess of £100 million of its commercial trading subsidiary with a portfolio of 34 sites
- Representing a mixed-use property development company on the private treaty or auction acquisitions of sites for development, bank funding arrangements for acquired sites, related leasing and infra-structure arrangements prior to turn-key disposal
- Acting for a charity on a complex conditional redevelopment agreement with the objective of the re-provision of a new operational facility within the final mixed-use scheme. The project includes an unusual sale, leaseback and reacquisition arrangement to mitigate enfranchisement risks and multiple price adjustments and overage terms
- The re-location of the City HQ to Canary Wharf of the European/UK arm of an overseas publically quoted international transportation conglomerate.
- The property aspects of the refinancing for in excess of £70 million of a client’s portfolio of over 60 investment and trading properties
- "A great team player", The Legal 500 (2014)
- Member of Commercial Real Estate Legal Association (CRELA)
Studied law at the College of Law