Marie is a senior associate in the fraud and criminal litigation team. She is adept in defending clients being prosecuted by a range of bodies, including HM Revenue and Customs, The Serious Fraud Office, The Financial Conduct Authority and the Department of Business Innovation and Skills.
She is often instructed by professionals to advise them in connection with criminal and regulatory matters, including solicitors, accountants, doctors and directors.
In her serious crime practice, Marie defends clients facing allegations of murder, rape and serious drug offences. In her white collar crime practice, she has defended clients facing allegations of fraudulent trading, money laundering, cheating the Public Revenue and conspiracy to defraud. Marie also has extensive experience in dealing with complex restraint orders and confiscation.
- R v Gill - representing a young man in a one punch manslaughter case. Mr Gill pleaded guilty to the offence of manslaughter and was sentenced in the Salisbury Crown Court to 4 years in prison. The Attorney General appealed this sentence on the basis that the sentence passed by the Judge was unduly lenient. The Court of Appeal agreed with the defence representations that the sentence was consistent with case law and that it should not be increased
- R v Ian Edmonson - defending a former Editor of the News of The World in relation to charges of mobile phone voicemail hacking in one of the widest publicised journalistic cases of recent times
- R v Marrache - defending an accountant for a firm of solicitors in Gibraltar, Marrach & Co. The prosecution centred around allegations of fraudulent trading and was the largest prosecution of its nature to have been brought by the Gibraltarian authorities
- R v L - HMRC prosecution involving an allegation of cheating the public revenue. Following investigations made by Marie and the representations put forward by her, the prosecution formally withdrew their case
- R v Thakrar - Marie successfully defended a convicted prisoner serving 34 years for the attempted murder of 3 prison officers at HMP Frankland
- Member of the London Criminal Courts Solicitors' Association
- Member of the Female Fraud Forum
- Member of the Fraud Lawyers Association