She deals with sales and purchases, the grant and surrender of leases, the management of investment properties, the property aspects of collaboration and mergers, funding arrangements, development projects and associated advice on trading, taxation risks and charity law.
Mary was recommended in The Legal 500 (2014) which comments that “she goes the extra mile” and has been recommended again in 2015.
She participates in the charity team’s property seminars and has given talks on the trading and tax implications of generating income from charity property and the tax pitfalls charities must take into account when considering the development of property. Mary has also been a trustee of a charity providing services to children in local authority care.
- Acting for a charity on the sale of a redundant care home and supported living units to a major developer which included assisting with associated planning matters and managing a competitive tender process
- Acting for a foundation school on the sale of surplus land for development, including obtaining consents for the sale and application of sale proceeds under the School Standards and Framework Act 1998
- Advising on compliance with the restrictions on disposals contained in the Charities Act 2011
- Advising on compliance with charity law as it affects the sale of endowment and designated properties
- Acting for charities on the disposal of development land under the terms of conditional contracts
- Acting for clients on the acquisition of new head office premises for the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists, Friends of the Earth, the Landscape Institute and Family Action
- Advising service providing charities on taking leases related to service provision contracts with primary care trusts and local authorities, including advice on compliance with HMO licensing requirements and the preparation of occupational licences and ASTs for service users
- Advising charities on the grant of easements, the enforceability of restrictive covenants, the scope of private rights of way, trespass, private nuisance and boundary disputes
- Contributed to The Russell-Cooke Voluntary Sector Legal Handbook
- Member of the Charity law Association