For advice on who to talk to, call
Our charity and social business team advises charities, social enterprises and other not for profit organisations. We work with organisations that are varied in size, constitutional structure and area of operation.
We have been described by Legal 500 as "excellent in all respects" and have been praised for providing "clear, concise information to the client."
Our team and approach
The charity and social business team includes Andrew Studd and James Sinclair Taylor, recognised leaders in their field, and ten other experienced lawyers. Our team has extensive experience advising clients on legal matters in the charity sector and our solicitors have either worked or volunteered for charities, or served on trustee boards and committees. Click here to view our brochure.
We tailor our approach to suit your individual needs and understand clients' costs sensitivities, so always provide estimates and ongoing communication on costs.
Click on one our specialist areas to meet the team:
We provide advice in the following areas:
- formation of charities and registration with the Charity Commission;
- charity regulation, in particular responding to regulatory requests from the Charity Commission and Information Commissioner's Office;
- issues relating to mergers and collaborations;
- operational issues including trading and fundraising;
- commercial issues including contracts, grants and intellectual property;
- property transactions including leases, licenses, sales and purchases;
- commercial disputes and disputes relating to property, wills and employment; and
- employment law and human resources issues.
If there is a matter you would like advice on, but cannot see on our website, then please do not hesitate to contact a member of our team to find out how we can help you.
Resources for clients
The team regularly contributes to publications and hosts seminars. For further information about Russell-Cooke seminars, please click here.
Members of our team are authors of the authoritative Russell-Cooke Voluntary Sector Handbook, published by the Directory of Social Change. Click here for more information.
If you would like to stay up to date with recent legal issues and developments relating to charity law then click here to view our e-updates.
Russell-Cooke has Lexcel and Investors in People accreditation and we are members of the Charity Law Association.