In an increasingly small world, business dealings and contracts will often involve different jurisdictions. Corporations and individuals may have property and other assets, family or wealth structures in more than one jurisdiction and so resolving an international dispute may seem an insurmountable hurdle.
We regularly act in disputes involving one or more foreign elements and can assist you in resolving your international dispute in the most cost effective and efficient way.
We advise and assist you on where to bring or defend a claim, which jurisdiction may be more advantageous and best achieve your commercial and strategic objectives, and which law and legal procedure is the most appropriate to the issue in dispute. If the relevant law is not that of England and Wales we can refer you to an appropriate foreign lawyer through our extensive network of trusted international contacts.
Similarly we assist foreign lawyers in taking steps in England and Wales, for example taking witness statements, providing an outline of English procedure or taking steps to enforce a judgement in England.
Our matters regularly involve:
- applying for injunctive relief such as worldwide Freezing Orders and Asset Recovery orders
- advising clients on the terms and effects of such orders
- advising clients in relation to disputes in relation to offshore trusts (registered in jurisdictions such as Jersey, Guernsey)
- advising clients in relation to disputed estates with assets in England as well as other jurisdictions such as the USA, India, South Africa, Australia, France and several other European countries
- applications to the English Chancery Division for permission to deal with French property belonging to English minors
- resolving disputes in relation to estates where foreign laws or procedure may apply as a result of the Deceased's domicile, or religion
- assisting in ad hoc queries involving how English procedure or law may apply in a particular scenario
We are a competitive international litigation team and deal with complex cases, principally in the Chancery division. We conduct multi dimensional, high profile and high value cases and in particular attract referrals from other solicitors' firms, counsel and other professional advisers.
We offer a wealth of experience for commercial, regulatory, public sector and private clients, who are attracted to our technical skills and ability to progress matters discreetly, sensitively and cost effectively.
We can deal with a range of disputes from commercial injunctive work to complex offshore trust disputes to probate and administration disputes involving estates that may straddle two or more jurisdictions.