estate planning and probate »
We advise on all aspects of UK taxation, with particular emphasis on Inheritance and Capital Gains Tax planning. Matters we advise on include:
- general estate planning and maximising IHT reliefs
- mitigating CGT on second properties
- disposing of a capital asset and maximising CGT reliefs
- creating trusts as a structure for maintaining family wealth
- advising on the Pre-Owned Assets Tax Regime
- post-death tax planning
- creating and advising on the implications of Personal Injury Trusts (where we can work together closely with our Personal Injury Department)
- reviewing an existing trust post Finance Act 2006 and advising whether restructuring is required
- maximising Agricultural Property Relief and Business Property Relief
In many cases early specialist advice can save very substantial amounts of tax. Tax advice can range from a simple 'health-check', such as advice on whether your family will be subject to an Inheritance Tax charge in the event of your death, to sophisticated tax planning arrangements. Our team has the flexibility to tailor advice to any individual's circumstances.
Our team and approach.
- Our specialist taxation team offers the broad range of expertise and technical knowledge required to meet individual clients' needs, no matter how complex. The team is led by Richard Frimston, who contributes a regular column on cross-border issues to the STEP journal and is a co-author of International Aspects of Family Law, published by family law organisation Resolution
- We work closely with other specialist lawyers including our French and family departments to provide clients with seamless advice on matters such as inheritance tax, succession planning, capacity, trusts, international estates and taxation issues arising on divorce or civil partnership dissolution
- Many of our lawyers are members of professional organisations such as the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and Solicitors for the Elderly