dispute resolution »
intellectual property disputes
We advise on a broad range of intellectual property issues including protection and exploitation of intellectual property, intellectual property infringement and domain name disputes.
We act for both claimants and defendants, providing clear, commercially astute and realistic advice on your position.
Our experience includes:
- Registered and unregistered design rights
- Database rights
- Data protection
- Trade secrets and know-how
- Website and domain names
We are retained by the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT), Media Protection Services Limited (MPS) and British Sky Broadcasting Limited (BSKYB) in relation to intellectual property protection.
We bring private prosecutions under the Trade Marks Act 1994 on behalf of TM Eye Ltd who investigate the sale of counterfeit goods on behalf of rights holders such as Louis Vuitton, Mulberry and Pandora. Numerous convictions have been obtained in these cases and sentences against the convicted sellers include a "Banning Order" preventing the seller from working in all markets across England and Wales for a period of two years.
The team has extensive experience in both the civil and criminal jurisdictions. See our Intellectual Property page for non-contentious IP services.
Cases in which we have acted recently include:
- Acting for a company in a dispute with a major high street retailer over the use of our client's registered trademark.
- Acting for a client in relation to the use of an unregistered mark by another company in another jurisdiction.
- Advising a client in relation to a dispute in relation to the use of website/domain names by the use of the nominet dispute resolution procedures.
- Acting for a client in proceedings including a claim for infringement of trademark.
- Acting for a client in relation to passing off against a competitor and successfully persuading the competitor to withdraw its packaging.