business services »
The members of our Sports Law Group have a thorough understanding of the sports industry and the legal and commercial issues faced by both individuals and organisations operating within it.
Our clients include governing bodies, commercial stakeholders, investors, sporting clubs and associations and professional sports men and women. We also frequently provide bespoke legal services to a variety of professional and amateur sporting organisations and institutions and advise clients in relation to both contentious and non-contentious trading issues, including partnership, shareholder and corporate governance matters, including directors' duties.
Matters we have recently dealt with include:
- Acting in High Court proceedings brought by former investors in a professional football club for the repayment of monies allegedly advanced to the Club by way of a loan the value of which was £1.5 million plus interest and costs. The matter went to a fully contested High Court hearing in which the Club was successful in its defence.
- Representing Premier League football clubs in the investigation by the City of London Police into high profile transfer and agents fees with issues surrounding the payment of tax to Customs and Excise.
- Advising the British Olympic Fencing Association regarding directors' duties and the governance of the sport.
- Advising broadcasters as to intellectual property rights issues including brand protection and exploitation, advice on the areas of design copyright, trademark and service mark, domain names and other intellectual property rights, merchandising and sponsorship agreements.
- Advising on corporate start-ups, joint ventures, shareholders' agreements, finance and fund raising.
- Dealing with all aspects of property transactions for sports clients, including the acquisition and disposal of golf courses and tennis clubs.
Our team has over 15 years experience advising clients in this field. The team is led by Peter Cadman, a highly regarded regulatory lawyer who has wide experience in sports law.
We also offer our clients the benefit of a broad range of specialist departments for advice on other matters, including employment, residential property, wealth management, tax, reputation management, criminal law, personal injury and family law.