family & children »
We offer family arbitration under the new Family Arbitration Scheme for any financial and property dispute arising from a family relationship.
Family arbitration is a highly flexible and effective method dealing with family disputes, whether this is for the whole case or just one part of it. It is entirely confidential, saves time (there is no need to wait for a court date) and is tailor made to suit all parties.
Arbitration can be used at any point in family litigation, whether that is before proceedings have begun or after. It is a very effective way to resolve negotiations if they have stalled. It can take place at an agreed location although we have facilities to hold hearings at our Central London and South West London offices.
Our arbitrator, Fiona Read is able to arbitrate in the following types of cases:
- financial relief in divorce and dissolution cases (under the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973 and the Civil Partnership Act 2004)
- Financial relief following an overseas divorce (under Part lll of the Matrimonial f Family Proceedings Act 1984)
- claims for financial provision for children covering both capital and income (Schedule 1 of the Children Act 1989)
- claims relating to interest in property, (Trust of Land & Trustee Act of 1996 and the Married Women's Property Act 1882)
- claims for financial provision following death (the Inheritance Provision for Family & Dependants) Act 1975)
Our arbitrator Fiona Read, Partner in the family team, has extensive experience in family work for over 25 years. She is highly regarded in her field and sits as a part time District Judge. She is also a mediator and has a good understanding of the dynamics of the court room setting and face to face negotiation. Fiona has been trained as one of the first IFLA credited Family Law Arbitrators.