For advice on who to talk to, call
Our private client solicitors are specialists in issues affecting those who have lost the capacity to manage their affairs.
This may be in the case of persons who already lack capacity (which may require an application to the Court of Protection), or those who want to plan ahead and make a Lasting Power of Attorney.
Our team has the experience to take on complex problems in the area of capacity, including the issues that arise when more than one jurisdiction is involved.
We can assist clients by:
- making the application for family members or others to be appointed as a Deputy (explain what is involved, the duties and obligations on a Deputy)
- helping Deputies with specific legal issues, court applications or general financial management (such as completing the annual accounts, tax returns)
- applying for a professional Deputy when there are no family members or friends willing or suitable to be deputies. Russell-Cooke Trust Company acts as a professional deputy in a number of cases and is approved by the Court of Protection
- resolving Deputy disputes and assisting with the appointment of independent deputies
- advising on the creation of Lasting Powers of Attorney (both financial and health & welfare)
- registering Enduring Powers of Attorney and advising on the removal of an attorney or the revocation of the Power
Our team and approach
Many of our lawyers are members of professional organisations such as the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP), Solicitors for the Elderly, and the Association of Contentious Trusts and Probate Specialists (ACTAPS). Rita Bhargava is Chair of STEP and a member of the Capacity STEP special interest group.
We know that clients often instruct us at difficult times and these are sensitive matters. We understand the importance of giving clear, timely and practical advice.
Meeting in Kensington
We are able to meet clients in the heart of Kensington and Chelsea, just off Kensington High Street, a short walk from Notting Hill Gate at Niddry Lodge.
Our solicitors and lawyers are based at our offices in Holborn (in Central London), Putney (in South West London) and Kingston (Surrey) but can also meet with clients at our meeting rooms in Mayfair, Canary Wharf and in the City of London - Dashwood House and City of London - The Leadenhall Building.