Fraud and asset recovery disputes invariably require quick and decisive action at short notice. Identifying the perpetrators of a fraud and then pursuing, securing and preserving information and assets, often in a number of jurisdictions, is a complex task.
Our dedicated team of fraud and asset tracing specialists combines experts in commercial, criminal litigation and regulatory issues. Clients of Russell-Cooke can also benefit from access to our highly-experienced criminal litigation team. Where necessary, they can assist with the criminal aspects of recovery of the proceeds of crime and also restraint of assets.
We have significant experience in dealing with civil fraud and asset tracing matters, having acted for both claimants and defendants in a number of high profile cases. We assist both corporate and individual clients in complex fraud and regulatory matters.
Both partners in our fraud and criminal litigation team are recommended by Chambers, the legal directory.
Areas of expertise
We advise on a full range of fraud and asset tracing related issues. Our areas of expertise include:
- commercial and corporate fraud and misfeasance
- cross-border registration and enforcement of judgements
- data protection
- directors duties / disqualification proceedings
- evidence preservation orders
- freezing Orders (Mareva Injunctions)
- search and seizure orders/dawn raids (Anton Piller Orders)
- third party disclosure orders
- tracing claims
- mortgage fraud
- insurance fraud
- reputational management / We have experience of dealing with cases with a high level of press interest.
- private prosecutions
- Proceeds of Crime Act
Working with other experts and advisers
Our cases frequently require us to work closely, both nationally and internationally with other law firms, forensic accountants, insolvency practitioners, the police and regulatory and judicial authorities. We have an established network of contacts and referrals in other fields and professional disciplines that can be called upon, when appropriate, to work with us to maximise our client’s strategic objectives and, ultimately, the prospects of successful enforcement and recovery.
Timely advice and intervention
Our team is increasingly involved in assisting individuals and corporate entities in their responses to privately funded enquiries and investigations launched by organisations or individuals. We advise on the interplay of both civil and criminal issues in investigations which frequently require expedited responses to information requests .
Our experienced teams provide round the clock advice and urgent representation during an emergency, for example dawn raids and search and seize orders to ensure that evidence gathering processes are lawfully complied with from the outset of a case.
Our specialist teams are also able to offer practical advice and training for key personnel.
- Advice given in relation to private prosecutions initiated by private individuals
- Advising accountancy practices how to respond to requests for information on behalf of their clients and also how to deal with a “dawn raid “ scenario
- Advising a company caught up in an investigation by police in relation to an alleged fraud committed by a company that provided pay–roll services
- Engaged in an international arbitration and subsequently enforcing an ICC arbitration award, which resulted in the client obtaining of a worldwide freezing order over assets in a number of jurisdictions
- Acting for the Law Society and the Solicitors Regulation Authority on a number of reported high-profile, high value and complex fraud and asset tracing claims arising into the intervention of solicitors’ practices
- Acting for the respondents/defendants to a search and seize order and springboard relief applications and in subsequent civil proceedings relating to the alleged theft and misappropriation of confidential information regarding a number of property transactions (value in excess of £20m)
- Acting for an international trading company in arbitration and subsequent High Court proceedings in an international fraud case
- Acting for the liquidator in the pursuit of fraudulent trading claims against the directors of a ship construction company
- Conducting asset tracing and “false accounting” proceedings in conjunction with a worldwide freezing order for an individual in his claims against his former business managers for the recovery of misappropriated earnings
- Advising the expelled partners of a partnership regarding their entitlement to undisclosed profits arising from breaches of their former partners’ statutory and fiduciary duties