The Legal 500 UK 2021 has once again ranked Russell-Cooke as leaders across a wide array of practice areas. In total, 56 lawyers across 22 areas of practice have been recognised.
The Legal 500 is an independent guide to the legal sector, ranking law firms and lawyers across legal specialist areas and geographic regions. The rankings are based on a series of criteria and highlight the practice area teams who are providing 'the most cutting edge and innovative advice'. Research is based on submissions from law firms, interviews with leading private practice lawyers and client feedback.
Three partners, Jae Carwardine in the crime team and Andrew Studd and James Sinclair Taylor in the charity and social business team are listed as members of the Legal 500 "Hall of Fame", which "highlights individuals who have received constant praise by their clients for continued excellence". A further 12 partners are listed as elite 'leading individuals’, four were noted as 'next generation partners' and seven practitioners were recognised as 'rising stars'.
Russell-Cooke is ranked in the following London categories:
- Corporate and commercial: M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m; Tier 3 “very approachable, commercially sensible and legally knowledgeable.”
- Crime: general; Tier 2 “has a strong reputation for its work, as well as its ability to minimise media scrutiny for clients.”
- Charities and not-for-profit; Tier 2"They listen and take the time to understand our requirements and to translate legislation into useable working policies or documents relevant to our organisation."
- Clinical negligence: claimant; Tier 2"They are utterly committed and have a wealth of medical knowledge which gives them the edge on other practitioners in this field."
- Court of Protection; Tier 2“You know the lawyers will fight their clients’ corner and they understand the area inside out and can see the bigger picture for their client.”
- Education: individuals; Tier 2“Tightly managed team led by star counsel Eva. Incredibly dedicated, professional and passionate individual.”
- Family; Tier 2 “Attention to detail, personal relationships with clients, balanced, sensible advice, strength when needed.”
- Family: mediation; Tier 2“It is probably one of the strongest mediation teams in London and offers clients a holistic approach in the resolution of both financial and children disputes.”
- Personal tax, trusts and probate; Tier 2“Exceptionally approachable. Advice is easy to understand and yet very sophisticated. Excellent responsiveness to clients’ questions.”
- Professional discipline; Tier 2“at the forefront of professional discipline for at least the last two decades.”
- Employment: senior executives; Tier 2“The service provided is responsive, efficient and straightforward even though the contents of issues can be complex.”
- Contentious trusts and probate; Tier 3 “A first-class team. Highly professional but very engaging and commercially minded.”
- Property litigation; Tier 3“It is particularly strong in neighbourly matters, disputes arising from developments and landlord and tenant disputes, where clients benefit from the team's expertise in the private rented and build-to-rent sectors.”
- Social housing: tenant; Tier 3 “clients are ‘guaranteed a good service’ when they consult the firm for advice on possession and disrepair claims”
- Commercial litigation: mid-market; Tier 4“Customer service and focus genuinely exceptional. Excellent balance between specialists within the firm.”
- Fraud: white-collar crime; Tier 4 “Well-versed in advising clients caught up in regulatory investigations, including those brought by the SFO, FCA, CPS and HMRC.”
- Personal injury: claimant; Tier 4“Well-established and expert firm dealing with PI claims of all types and with significant expertise.”
- Planning; Tier 5“The team are also becoming increasingly strong on the contentious side, notably receiving recent new instructions from high net-worth individuals.”
- Sport; Tier 5 “A wealth of under-the-radar experience as well as high-profile cases. They are discreet and resist the urge to brag about their client base.”
- Health and safety; Tier 4
- Immigration: businesses; Tier 3 “concise, user-friendly, commercial, clear and charming.”
- Immigration: human rights, appeals and overstay; Tier 3 “great patience and attention to detail.”
Senior Partner John Gould said: "It is always pleasing to receive comment and validation from the market and additional feedback from our clients. These comments are a testament to the strength of our teams and their commitment to their clients which has been unwavering, in fact stronger than ever, during the past months of lockdown. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank them once again for their hard work and to thank our clients and referrers for their comments.”
Visit the Russell-Cooke page here. on The Legal 500 website for full details of this year's rankings.