The latest edition of the Legal 500, one of the leading UK legal directories, has once again ranked Russell-Cooke as leaders across a broad spectrum of practices. In all, 58 lawyers across 23 areas of practice have been recognised.
The Legal 500 is an independent guide to the legal sector, ranking law firms and lawyers across legal specialist areas and geographic regions. It is compiled and published annually using feedback from clients, barristers and peer law firms. Only firms with an acknowledged reputation and strong feedback from clients in a particular area are ranked. Ranked firms usually only make up a small proportion of firms working in the relevant area.
Three partners, Andrew Studd and James Sinclair Taylor in the charity and social business team and Jae Carwardine in the crime team, are listed as members of the Legal 500 "Hall of Fame", which "highlights individuals who have received constant praise by their clients for continued excellence". Fifteen other partners are listed as elite 'leading individuals,' and 'next generation partners' and four 'rising stars' are also noted.
Russell-Cooke is ranked in the following London categories:
- corporate and commercial: M&A: smaller deals, up to £50m Tier 3 "clients are a mix of large corporates, high net worth individuals, entrepreneurs and SMEs"
- crime, fraud and licensing: crime general Tier 2 "assiduous team has been kept busy recently"
- crime, fraud and licensing: fraud: white-collar crime Tier 3 "well-established team of high-quality criminal lawyers."
- dispute resolution: commercial litigation Tier 7 "able to conduct complex commercial litigation skilfully, unencumbered by the conflicts that can constrain larger firms"
- dispute resolution: professional discipline Tier 2 "appears for both the regulator and for those appearing before the regulator, which gives it a unique insight in this field'"
- human resources: employment: senior executives Tier 2 "strong and responsive team" "the client relationship…has been far superior than that offered by others'"
- human resources: health and safety Tier 4 "expert in both contentious and non-contentious health and safety matters"
- human resources: immigration Tier 3 "advises on complex issues and has a growing reputation for sensitive adoption cases"
- insurance: clinical negligence: claimant Tier 2 "offer the highest professional standards with expertise and service that sets them head and shoulders above the rest"
- insurance: personal injury: claimant Tier 4 "excellent representation of injured people to ensure they achieve justice"
- private client: charities and not-for-profit Tier 2 "I always feel like I am dealing with people who care and who are experts"
- private client: contentious trusts and probate Tier 3 "handles many large and complex matters, usually against the other leading firms in this area. This team is first-rate"
- private client: court of protection Tier 2 "continues to go from strength to strength – the team regularly appears in the knottiest or most high-profile cases"
- private client: family Tier 2 "an unrivalled presence in the market as a firm able to deliver high-quality legal advice and fantastic results"
- private client: family: mediation Tier 2 "excellent mediation practice"
- private client: personal tax, trusts and probate Tier 2 "has a clear emphasis on practical solutions, having the expertise to deal with complex issues"
- public sector: education: individuals Tier 2 "has experience acting for children with SEN and disabilities, as well as for transgender and non-binary pupils who face marginalisation"
- real estate: commercial property Retail Tier 3 "technically skilled team provide a personalised and responsive service"
- real estate: planning Tier 5 "provides an excellent balance of specialist planning law knowledge and personable and approachable lawyers"
- real estate: property litigation Tier 3 "strong practice draws on a wealth of expertise"
- real estate: social housing: tenant Tier 3 "has a strong commitment to legal aid work, in addition to advising clients on a private basis"
- TMT: sport Tier 5 "successfully combine experience of regulatory matters for sports with unrivalled experience of criminal law – the go-to firm for a number of Premier League clubs"
Senior Partner John Gould said: "It is pleasing to see so many comments confirming the excellent work done by teams across the very broad scope of our practice. There are only limited number of first class firms who are able to deliver high quality service to the full range of clients whether organisations, companies or individuals. Although most of our work comes from existing clients and recommendations based on the quality of our work and the approachability and talent of our people, it is good to have such strong external validation."
Visit The Legal 500 website for full details of this year's rankings.