John is a consultant solicitor in the children team and was responsible for setting up the firm's children team prior to the Children Act 1989. For many years, John has represented children (either directly or through their court-appointed Children's Guardian), parents and other family members in care and related proceedings, and in adoption applications. He also has experience of representing social services in public law proceedings.
He has provided training for social workers at Brunel University, and to new guardians on behalf of the Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service (CAFCASS).
Chambers UK (2014) note that he is widely admired for his "calm, measured approach to litigation".
John joined Russell-Cooke in 1983 and was a partner from 1985 to 2008, when he became a consultant, continuing to take cases and represent clients in court.
- Member of the Law Society Children Panel since 1986
- Member of the Association of Lawyers for Children (ALC)
- Listed in the Thomson Reuters 'London Super Lawyers' list 2015
- Admired for 'bringing flair and extensive experience to his cases' (Chambers 2011)
- Studied law at Liverpool University