Rachel McCastman is an associate in the charity and social business team.
Rachel specialises in advising charities and not-for-profit organisations on commercial, governance and regulatory matters. She aims to provide pragmatic and solution-based advice which enables her clients to focus on their main priority: serving their beneficiaries. She enjoys working with a wide variety of charities and social enterprises, from small grass-roots organisations and start-ups to large international organisations.
Rachel can assist charities and not-for-profit organisations with:
- setting up new charities (including CIOs), CICs and not-for-profit companies
- preparing and amending governing documents
- general meetings, including AGMs
- organisational restructures (including incorporations and trading subsidiaries)
- mergers and demergers
- closures and dissolutions
- data protection, including privacy notices, policies and health checks
- protection and exploitation of copyright
- reviewing and drafting contracts, including grants, IP licences, partnerships, software development, consultancy, goods and services, MOUs, etc.
- charity governance, trustee training and governance reviews
- board and organisational policies and procedures
- engaging with the Charity Commission for regulatory consents
- dealing with incidents, including reputation management and serious incident reports
Rachel has been advising third sector organisations for a number of years, having previously worked in the Charity and Social Enterprise department of another top charity firm before joining Russell-Cooke.
- Supporting a large international charity through extensive changes to its Articles of Association and the membership approval process
- Advising two benevolent funds on becoming independent from their founding organisations and supporting them to set up their structure and governance in line with best practice
- Supporting high profile charities with internal investigations following serious incidents, including reputation management
- Advising a CIC on its demerger from a university
- Setting up a corporate foundation for a household name brand
- Trustee and Honorary Secretary of ACE Africa (UK)
- History BA, University College London
- GDL and LPC, University of Law
- Trained at Russell-Cooke