Simon is a senior associate in the corporate and commercial team.
He acts for a wide range of start-ups and growing businesses, as well as established businesses in a variety of sectors including media, technology and professional services.
Simon has extensive experience advising clients on corporate transactions including buying and selling businesses or companies and shareholder, partnership and joint venture agreements. He has particular expertise in early-to-mid stage fundraising rounds and works with clients through the process from term sheets to final investment agreements.
Simon has considerable commercial experience preparing and reviewing commercial contracts and terms of business. He also advises on intellectual property issues, working with clients to develop and protect their brand from trade mark applications and licensing to copyright and design rights.
Simon also advises clients on data protection matters. He works with clients to ensure they are complying with data protection obligations and regularly prepares privacy policies for businesses’ internal and external purposes. Recent experience includes advising clients on statutory changes and implications for their businesses with the introduction of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Simon frequently comments in the press and writes on issues relating to data protection and early-stage businesses.
Simon trained at Russell-Cooke before qualifying in 2010.
Corporate experience includes:
- advised the founder shareholders on the sale of a majority stake in a drinks manufacturing business with interests in the US and Asia
- working with a start-up tech company on its fundraising round taking on investment from a public company and syndicate of other individuals.
- acted on the sale of an international management consultancy firm by way of an offer to dozens of shareholders
- helping dozens of early-stage companies with their constitutional documents including shareholders agreements, founders agreements and articles of association
Intellectual property experience includes:
- assisting numerous companies with their national and international trade mark registration including portfolio management
- recently assisted international travel business G Adventures in relation to the acquisition and subsequent protection and management of brands including the historic 'Swan Hellenic' brand
Data protection experience includes:
- assisting a national financial services regulator with securing data security through its supply through standard documents
- advising a large public body on its obligations under the General Data Protection Regulation
- advising a membership organisation on its data protection obligations
- preparation of data policies, privacy policies and standard data protection and security documents for corporate entities, SMEs, start-ups and not-for-profits
- Member of the International Trade Mark Association (INTA)
- Member of the Society for Computers and Law
- Read History and Politics at the University of York and worked for a number of years as a policy advisor at the Department of Culture, Media and Sport
- Achieved a distinction in his legal studies before joining Russell-Cooke as a trainee in 2008