Tom is a senior associate in the trust and estate disputes team.
Tom acts for both claimants and defendants on a range of matters including claims pursuant to the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 ('The 1975 Act'), will disputes, domicile disputes, applications in the Court of Protection, disputes with personal representatives and trustees, administration disputes (both domestic and international) and property trust disputes.
Tom is recognised in Chambers and Partners HNW (2021) as an ‘Associate to Watch’ and in The Legal 500 (2022) as a ‘Rising Star’ for his work in trust and estate disputes.
Tom has experience of handling complex cases involving multi-million pound estates and has extensive experience acting for protected parties in litigation. He is an effective negotiator with considerable experience in round-table discussions and mediation.
Tom qualified as a solicitor in 2013 and joined Russell-Cooke in 2018. He was promoted to senior associate in 2020.
- Administration disputes - acting for an executor of an estate in a successful application in the High Court to remove a co-executor under Section 50 of the Administration of Justice Act 1985.
- 1975 Act claims:
- acting on behalf of three adult children of the deceased, all of whom were protected parties, in a claim pursuant to the 1975 Act where the deceased had left the entirety of his estate to his carer. Successfully issued an application under Section 4 of the 1975 Act to issue a claim out of time
- Stevanovic v Knyvett  EWHC 381 (Fam). Successfully defending a claim brought by a former partner of the deceased under the 1975 Act for financial provision from his multi-million pound estate. Successfully opposing an application for interim provision under Section 5 of the 1975 Act, in the first reported case to consider the merits requirements of an application for interim provision under Section 5
- Domicile disputes - acting for the wife of the deceased defending a claim brought by the son of the deceased that the deceased was domiciled in Spain at the time of his death.
- Mutual will - acting for the defendants in a dispute concerning the binding nature of a mutual Will.
- Will challenges - acting for a child of the deceased defending a challenge to the validity of his late mother's will on the grounds of want of execution, want of capacity and want of knowledge and approval.
- Associate member of ACTAPS (Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists)
- Rising Star in The Legal 500 (2022)
- Associate to Watch in Chambers and Partners HNW (2021)
Tom graduated from the University of Southampton with a first-class honours degree in History, before completing the Graduate Diploma in Law and the Legal Practice Course at the College of Law, Bloomsbury.