We advise individuals who are about to start a new job or are thinking of moving to a new employer. We can help with any issues you may have in relation to this, including:
- the terms of your contract of employment
- share options
- the impact of restrictive covenants
- adequate protection against dismissal
If you are thinking of changing jobs, it is a good idea to take advice from an employment specialist on the proposed new contract of employment and any benefits you have been offered before you sign. Moving from one employer to another often means giving up (at least initially) the right not to be unfairly dismissed and you should therefore be ensuring that you are adequately protected.
You may also need to check whether the move might place you in breach of restrictive covenants in your current contract (or of any other obligations you might owe your current employer), particularly if other members of your team are moving to the same new employer.
We also regularly advise employees in relation to their entitlements, including share options, commission or bonus entitlements, permanent health insurance, and pensions.
Occasionally, action taken against an employee who is a minority shareholder may give that employee an argument that his minority shareholder rights have been prejudiced. Such claims can be brought in the High Court.
We are one of a relatively small number of employment law teams that is highly recommended in The Legal 500 (the independent legal research directory), which notes that:
- we “frequently handle ‘high-value senior executive employment cases’” (2015)
- we are "extremely thorough and client-focused" (2014)
- we "have a strong practice representing both senior executives and employers" (2014)
- our employment team "provides 'exemplary' service'" (2013)
- we are "'more alive to the issues' than some competitors and a regular opponent of heavyweight firms'" (2012)
- We are a six-strong team of specialist employment lawyers with experience over the whole field of employment law, including high-profile employment cases with media interest
- Matters we have dealt with recently include possible team moves from one bank to another (involving complex issues to do with restrictive covenants, confidentiality and fidelity), comparing and structuring packages to ensure high level employees receive proper compensation for any contingent benefits they will lose as the result of a move, negotiations to reduce the risk of employees receiving disappointing discretionary bonuses, as well very routine enquiries about the meaning and effect of standard terms.
- We tailor our advice to suit your needs. For example, we can give one-off advice on a single term of your contract or we can represent you throughout an entire negotiating process with your new employer.
- We balance an accurate analysis of the legal issues with commercial experience to give you the best chance of securing a satisfactory employment contract with minimal fuss.
- We regularly act for employers as well as employees, so we have a good insight into the employer's perspective when drafting and negotiating a contract of employment.