Our team helps you deal with the administration of the estate following the death of a family member or friend. You may be a personal representative or a beneficiary.
We advise on matters such as:
- preparing the grant application and completing the HM Revenue Account
- Inheritance Tax deductions and reliefs
- Income Tax and Capital Gains Tax and the completion of Tax Returns
- Deeds of Variation and post-death tax planning
- dealing with enquiries from HM Revenue & Customs
- constituting nil-rate-band trusts
- insolvent estates
- charities and unincorporated associations on gifts from estates in collaboration with the charity and social business team
- cross-border succession and multi-jurisdiction estate issues in collaboration with the French team
Our specialist contentious probate team can advise on any disputes arising over an estate.
Our team and approach
- Our highly qualified and experienced probate team can handle complex estates. The team includes Richard Frimston, who contributes a regular column on cross-border issues to the journal of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and is a co-author of International Aspects of Family Law, published by Resolution, the organisation for family lawyers.
- We have particular expertise in cross-border estates, issues of foreign succession (especially those relating to France) and domicile issues, as well as business property and heritage issues.
- Many of our clients are high-net-worth individuals, members of the legal and accountancy professions and people working at a senior level in the financial sector.
- We appreciate that clients instruct us at a difficult time in their lives and understand the importance of giving clear, timely, practical advice.
- We also deal with less complex estates taking on what can be a substantial administrative burden.
Please also refer to our related page on probate for more information on the work we do.