We give advice about the cross-border issues that arise when someone owns assets in more than one country, or has some other connection with a foreign jurisdiction - for example, when their spouse or civil partner comes from another country, or when their children live or work abroad.
Areas of law on which we offer specialist advice include:
- marriage and civil partnership - pre- and post-nuptial contracts and the effects of matrimonial property regimes across borders
- divorce and dissolution - the implementation of financial settlements across borders
- capacity - cross-border protective measures that can be taken for people who have lost capacity to manage their own affairs, including powers of attorney
- wills and tax planning
- estates and estate administration - complex cross-border estates and deal with their administration
- Our team of specialist lawyers have outstanding expertise and a wealth of experience dealing with cross-border issues.
- Members of the team are part of the Brussels EU Commission Experts Group and have contributed to leading textbooks in this area of law.
- The team are recommended in Chambers 2011 which notes "They really understand the crucial nuances between the different jurisdictions". Richard Frimston is listed as a leader in cross-border estates and capacity matters.
- We offer sensible, practical and technically-reliable advice.
- Our fees are highly competitive compared to those of other central London competitors with similar levels of expertise.
- We have a strong reputation in the field. Many of our clients are referred to us from City law firms.
- The breadth of the firm's expertise means we can offer integrated, joined-up advice to clients with complex problems.