We understand the ever-increasing international nature of families and family life. We recognise that clients with overseas connections may face different or additional legal and practical issues which need to be considered.
Our international practice has also enabled us to build strong links with highly reputable lawyers abroad who can be called upon at any time to assist with international issues pertaining to divorce, pre-nuptial agreements, financial or children matters.
Our solicitors have extensive experience in providing legal advice where there are complex or time-sensitive international issues.
International legal issues
We have advised clients located across the world including other European countries, North and South America, The Middle East, The Far East, India, South Africa and Australasia on the following legal issues:
Marriage, separation and financial issues
- the recognition and regulation of foreign marriages and religious marriages, particularly Islamic marriages
- deciding when and whether to instigate divorce proceedings in this country when the client has connections to another country
- instigating or defending claims that the client’s divorce should take place in this country
- how the court in this country will deal with foreign assets on divorce
- financial provision in this country following an overseas divorce
- international enforcement of financial orders
- international/cross border family issues for same sex partners and international cohabitation issues
- wealth protection, whether by the use of pre/post nuptial agreements or the establishment of trusts
- international relocation
- international relocation with children
- child abduction/Hague Convention/Wardship/Inherent jurisdiction proceedings. We are a member of the International Children Abduction and Contact Unit (ICACU) Panel, and one of a limited number of specialist firms accredited to deal with international child abduction and contact cases
- recognition of international judgments for parental responsibility
- recognition under the European Convention of decisions concerning custody of children
- care proceedings with an international element including cases where children might be placed overseas with relatives
- inter-country adoption, both in terms of adopting a child from another country or bringing a child into this country who has been adopted abroad
How we can help you
Our specialist family solicitors can advise you on:
Whatever your circumstances and your priorities, our clear and practical advice will help you achieve the best possible outcome for you and your family.
If you would like to speak with a member of the team you can contact our family law solicitors on 020 3826 7550 or complete our enquiry form.