What is family mediation?
Family mediation helps you sort out the disputes that arise during your separation. Our mediators will help you find practical solutions that you both can live with.
What are the benefits?
- gives you both control over the outcome
- empowers you to achieve a settlement which is better for all of the family
- is less stressful than court
- improves your communication, especially as parents
- is more beneficial for your children
- is quicker and cheaper than court
- provides a summary of the outcome which can then be turned into a legally binding agreement by the court
- can help you at any time during your process, whether you have started court proceedings or not
Is mediation right for me?
We see both of you individually first for a suitability meeting - to help explain the process so that you decide whether mediation would be best for you.
How mediation can help
Mediation as a way to resolve family disputes is now very much encouraged to help couples resolve their disputes rather than go through more costly and perhaps, lengthy processes such as court proceedings.
Since 2014 it has been compulsory in most cases (save where for example there has been domestic violence) for anyone who is seeking to apply to court for any process relating to their children or their finances to first attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM) with a specially trained mediator approved by the Family Mediation Council.
We have a large number of specially trained mediators at Russell-Cooke who are approved or accredited by the Family Mediation Council.
How can we help?
All discussions with our mediators are face to face and confidential. Some of our mediators are also trained to see your children in mediation. This will give them a voice in the process if you both think this necessary and your children agree. We can also refer you to other support services if needed.