The French law and property team combines a breadth of experience in French law. We provide expertise and a cross-cultural approach for those looking to buy property or having property interests in France. We have a proven track record of handling high value or complex transactions and often work closely with our clients' advisers regardless of location. The department has the support of strong specialist expertise across a range of areas within the firm and in France, including cross-border estate planning, tax advice and family law.
We offer specialist, bilingual expertise to clients who require advice on all aspects of French property law and French successions.
Common areas where our team can help include:
- the sale and purchase of French immovable property
- terms of the initial contract and supporting documentation including proposed amendments or modifications
- liaising with the French notaire and other French advisers
- structure of ownership/succession planning
- cross border tax advice in relation to property ownership including wealth tax, capital gains tax, inheritance tax
- sales by minors/adults with incapacity
- contentious property (in collaboration with our Paris correspondent)
- expert witness evidence and opinions on French property and succession law
- transfer of property following divorce
- cross border estate planning and wills (in collaboration with the Private Client department)
- French probate and administration
As we cannot list all the areas in which we offer advice, please call us to discuss your particular requirements.
- All members of the team from our lawyers to our administrative assistants and support staff are bilingual. Our team of lawyers has first hand knowledge of the interaction of the French and English legal systems. We have huge experience in the field of French property and succession and are frequently asked to act as expert witness on matters of French laws in legal proceedings conducted in the UK. Much of our work comes from referrals from other lawyers and professional firms.
- We belong to the relevant professional associations including the Franco-British Lawyers Society, the French Chamber of Commerce and STEP UK and STEP France (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners).
- Our French Law and Property team is led by Dawn Alderson, an experienced bilingual avocat and solicitor qualified in both French and English law. Dawn practised in France for over a decade before joining Russell-Cooke in 2000.
- Dawn works closely with:
- Patrick Delas who has qualified as a French avocat in 1995 and deals with a wide range of matters relating to French property ownership including advice on acquisition, inheritance and tax law.
- Julie Pinto who is a qualified French Notaire with particular experience in the purchase and sale of properties, French inheritance law and wills.
- Judith Backo who is trained as a notaire (diplômée notaire France) and worked for more than five years in several notarial firms, most of them being based in the French Alps, before moving to London.
- They all have extensive experience of French law that comes only from working in France and an extensive network of French contacts.
Why you should choose us for your French law requirements
If you would like to speak with a member of our French law and property team please call 020 3826 7550 or complete our enquiry form.