We advise landlords and leaseholders of flats and houses on the enfranchisement provisions of the Leasehold Reform Act 1967 and the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 as well as the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987. This includes matters relating to:
- individual or multiple lease extension
- collective enfranchisement
- house enfranchisement
- freehold sales to leaseholders
- matters following collective enfranchisement
- right of first refusal in relation to the freehold or intermediate interest
We have wide experience of all types of enfranchisement and lease extension work, including matters involving high-value central London properties and complex collective enfranchisements of large blocks of flats. In such cases, we can advise on the most efficient and tax-effective legal structures. In particularly complex cases we can call upon the support of our corporate and commercial and litigation teams. We have well-established links with other property professionals such as valuation surveyors.
In addition we also deal with other landlord and tenant matters including:
- voluntary lease extensions
- licenses to assign
- licences to alter
- continuing advice to freehold companies post-enfranchisement including granting of 999 year leases
- The specialist enfranchisement group comprises a team of both property and property litigation lawyers. We are committed to completing transactions via the quickest and most cost-effective route and if at all possible without recourse to the tribunal and court systems
- Our team includes three lawyers led by Alan Edwards who specialise in lease extensions and collective enfranchisement and related matters - Shabnam Ali-Khan, Amy Lewis and Rebecca Olaniyan.
- Our experience and resources means we are well placed to undertake complicated, time critical deals
- Legal peer review Chambers UK says that observers "recommend Russell-Cooke without hesitation - it is efficient, friendly, extremely client-focused and staffed with terrifically dedicated lawyers". We are recommended for our experience in enfranchisement work.