We advise individuals and organisations on all aspects of sports law. Our clients include sports governing bodies, clubs, professional sports men and women and amateur sporting organisations, institutions and individuals.
We advise individuals as to employment issues that may arise in relation to sporting organisations (both professional and amateur) and also advise individuals in issues connected with personal injury matters.
The Legal 500 (2019) states the team is "always readily available and understands the sector".
Matters we have dealt with include:
- Russell-Cooke has been instructed by Mahmood Al Zarooni, trainer for the Godolphin Racing organisation, on an appeal in relation to eight year ban from racing imposed by the British Horseracing Authority. The BHA made the order for the use of steroids in the treatment of horses.
- Acting on behalf of Hatem Ben Arfa, Newcastle United and France international, in relation to issues of privacy and defamation arising from an article printed by the Sun newspaper
- Acting on behalf of individual Chelsea Football Club players and Chelsea Football Club in relation to allegations of racial abuse from the referee Mark Clattenburg. The resulting Football Association investigation found that the actions of the Club were totally vindicated - a point highlighted by the FA instructed Queen's Counsel that reviewed the matter
- Instructed by Chelsea Football Club in relation to advising both the Club and individual players in relation to the criminal proceedings brought against John Terry in relation to allegations of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand
- Acting on behalf of Callum Harriott of Charlton Athletic Football Club in relation to media issues and potential breaches of privacy
- Advising the Chef de Mission of the Croatian National Olympic Committee in relation to allegations of ticket touting made by the Metropolitan Police. All allegations withdrawn following advice being given to the individual
- Providing legal advice to Carlo Cudicini in respect of matters arising from a motor bike accident and how this affected his playing contract with Tottenham Hotspur FC and advising on media involvement in the matter.
- Acting for Jose Morinho and Chelsea Football Club and the Ashley Cole "tapping up" case involving Chelsea Football Club and Arsenal Football Club
- Acting on behalf of AFC Wimbledon in an appeal before the Football Association to reduce points penalties.
- Providing legal advice to professional golfers on personal tax and cross-border estate planning, these matters included cross-border implications involving the United Kingdom, Republic of South Africa, Republic of Ireland and the United States of America jurisdictions.
- Representing Didier Drogba in relation to the coin throwing incident (Chelsea FC v Burnley FC)
- Sitting on tribunals to consider various matters for the Barclays Premier League including both Football Association and Premier League matters