Our charity team specialises in advising charities and other not-for-profit organisations that work internationally. We work with UK-based organisations that have activities in another country and overseas organisations with a presence in the UK, or wish to establish a presence here. We have practical experience too; several members of our team are trustees of international development charities.
The areas we advise on include:
- establishing a branch or a charity in the UK (which may be a subsidiary)
- transferring operations to another country
- structuring international groups, federations and associations
- contracting and funding arrangements internationally
- tax treatment for UK charities and their donors
- the Bribery Act 2010 and its implications for organisations with a connection to the UK
- appropriate governance arrangements where a UK charity has an overseas parent organisation
- arrangements for staff and volunteers working abroad.
If you would like to discuss how we could help you, please get in touch.
Examples of our international work include:
- establishing a charity elsewhere in the EU because of concerns about losing EU funding as a result of Brexit
- advising UNICEF on a collaboration agreement with its national charities
- relocation of charities to and from the UK
- supporting the International Water Association with their UK governance and their international operating structure
- working on contracts between Voluntary Service Overseas and the Department for International Development
- participating in multinational collaborations and arrangements for service delivery, including for Plan International UK
- the implications of staff recruited in the UK working in other countries and staff from other countries working in the UK
- on-going work for international federations, including Hostelling International, Consumers International and United World Colleges
- helping Movember to establish an international presence in the UK
- assisting an international federation of health organisations with its relocation from London to Switzerland
- advising on the merger between Plan International and Interact
- establishing the World Dementia Council as a UK Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) and assisting the Associated Country Women of the World with incorporation.
For more information, please contact:
Andrew Studd - +44 (0)20 8394 6414 / Andrew.Studd@russell-cooke.co.uk
Chris Rowse - +44 (0)20 8394 6438 / Chris.Rowse@russell-cooke.co.uk