The UK’s Tier 1 (Investor) visa category is designed for those who have at least £2 million to invest in the UK, into permissible investment classes.
Those who can invest £2 million, £5 million or £10 million in the UK have a route to indefinite leave to remain in the UK (also known as settlement or permanent residence status) after five, three or two years respectively, and in each case UK citizenship one year later.
The Tier 1 (Investor) visa program has proven popular with individuals and families from around the world (including from countries such as Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Japan, Russia, South Africa and the USA, as well as countries in the Middle East) who wish to secure indefinite leave to remain in the UK and then UK citizenship for themselves and/or for their family members.
However, there are numerous complexities around the Tier 1 (Investor) visa category, which if not correctly considered and worked through from the very beginning can lead to very significant difficulties and applicants not achieving their desired results. Forward planning is particularly important with this visa category and we reflect this in our advice and approach.
We can work with you, your family, your professional advisers and any family office throughout the process, from initially applying for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa, to ensuring on-going compliance with visa conditions, to applying for indefinite leave to remain and ultimately UK citizenship.
Examples of Tier 1 (Investor) visa work
A few representative examples of our Tier 1 (Investor) visa related work are below:
- obtaining a Tier 1 (Investor) visa under the £10 million ‘accelerated settlement’ visa route
- obtaining a Tier 1 (Investor) visa for a Russian national
- advising an American national on the Tier 1 (Investor) visa program
- advising a Chinese National who wished to switch into the Tier 1 (Investor) visa category
- reviewing the investment advice of a wealth management firm from an immigration law perspective, to ensure that our client’s investment portfolio complies with the Tier 1 (Investor) visa rules
- providing detailed advice around Tier 1 (Investor) visa conditions and absence requirements that must be met to qualify for indefinite leave to remain and British citizenship
- Independently highly rated for Tier 1 (Investor) visa advice: We are one of relatively few immigration law teams in the UK that has been independently rated for advising on the Tier 1 (Investor) visa category:
"particularly strong on Tier 1 (investor…) visas" (The Legal 500)
- 100% success rate with Tier 1 (Investor) visa applications: Our 100% success rate with all Tier 1 (Investor) visa applications gives our investor clients added confidence and trust in securing a Tier 1 (Investor) visa.
- Trust: Russell-Cooke’s long history dating back to 1880 is testament to the enduring quality of the firm’s advice, which has been trusted by many generations of individual private clients.
- Long term planning: We appreciate that those who apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa almost always have a long term UK immigration goal beyond simply obtaining this type of visa, which is usually to obtain indefinite leave to remain and ultimately British citizenship. In any event, obtaining a Tier 1 (Investor) visa is just the start of the journey and in many ways is not the most difficult stage. From the very outset we establish your ultimate goal and tailor our advice accordingly, involving investment managers and tax lawyers as necessary.
- Complimentary tax advice within the same firm: Relatively few leading UK immigration teams also have a leading UK private client tax law practice within the same firm. It is essential that those who wish to apply for a Tier 1 (Investor) visa obtain tax advice from the outset. Lawyers in our private client tax team can advise you on the tax implications of you and/or your family relocating to the UK, and help you devise and implement a plan relating to your tax and estate affairs. We also have leading residential conveyancing and family law teams, which allow us to offer a very comprehensive and complimentary range of services to our investor clients, all within one firm. This facilitates the provision of ‘joined up’ advice and can also bring practical benefits.
- Investment advice: To avoid breaching visa conditions and you and/or your family potentially losing your visas and route into UK permanent residency rights and British citizenship, it is essential that your investment is made in the correct timeframe, into permissible investment classes, is properly evidenced and that the Tier 1 (Investor) visa rules are otherwise met in full. Our immigration solicitors have contacts with investment and wealth managers who have experience of advising those who wish to use the Tier 1 (Investor) visa program, and we are happy to work with them and banks and other financial institutions as necessary.
- Personal: Our immigration solicitors understand that immigration is intensely personal and we reflect this in our advice and approach. Our immigration team combines considerable experience of the Tier 1 (Investor) visa program and related technical expertise with an efficient and personable approach to make the visa application process run as smoothly as possible for our individual clients and their families. We are also very sensitive to cultural differences and can provide whatever level of support is needed.
- Scale: Russell-Cooke has around 200 specialist solicitors and lawyers. We are a full service ‘top 100’ UK London-based law firm and we are amongst the largest 1% of solicitors firms in the UK. This gives us added scale and resources to help our clients achieve their desired results.
- Speed and insight: Our lawyers’ insightful approach means that we are adept at ‘speeding up’ UK visas and Immigration/Home Office processing times for our clients.
What others have said
Leading legal directories The Legal 500 or Chambers UK have also stated in their immigration related comments:
- “very diligent” (2016)
- “courteous, helpful and a pleasure to deal with” (2016)
- “possesses an outstanding analytical mind and has consistently demonstrated excellent tactical and strategic abilities” (2016)
- “superb” (2016)
- “excellent communicator” (2016)
- “very good” (2016)
- “brings the high standards of professionalism and skill” (2015)
- “knows his law inside-out” (2015)
- “has in-depth knowledge of immigration” (2013)
The Superlawyers and Corporate International publications have also recognised individual immigration expertise within our team.
Members of our immigration team regularly write about developments in UK immigration law and have contributed immigration articles to international publications such as Corporate Counsel, Corporate International, Lawyer Monthly, Global Legal Post, the International Bar Association's Immigration and Nationality Newsletter, China Daily and have provided commentary on immigration law developments for national publications such as The Guardian, The Times, The Independent, The Daily Telegraph, Personnel Today and also for the BBC, Radio 4 and Channel 4 News.
Our immigration team is a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners’ Association (ILPA).