Many forms of domestic abuse are criminal offences, and if you feel it is safe to do so, you should report the incident(s) to the police. Please see here for what happens when you contact the police.

You may also be able to apply to the family court for an injunction to protect you from domestic abuse. There are two types of injunction: non-molestation orders and occupation orders. You can apply for either or both of these injunctions in the family court.

Non-molestation order

This is a court order which requires the person who is the subject of the order to refrain from using or threatening violence, intimidating, harassing, or pestering you. A breach of a non-molestation order is a criminal offence for which the abuser can be fined or imprisoned.

Occupation order

This is a court order that regulates who can live in the family home. The order can be used to exclude the perpetrator of domestic abuse from the family home or it may prevent him/her coming within a certain areas of the family home.  

If you need an injunction urgently, you may seek a temporary emergency injunction without the abuser’s knowledge at the court’s discretion. This is called an application made ‘without notice’.

Please click here see our factsheet with more details about domestic abuse injunctions and links to documents which may assist.  You can also find information about the court process here.