While it can be extremely difficult to leave an abusive household, your safety and the safety of your children must be paramount. If staying with friends or family is not possible, there are other options such as staying at a refuge or seeking council housing.

Contact the National Domestic Abuse Helpline (operated by Refuge) for guidance about what services are available in your local area and the possibility of staying at a refuge. If a refuge is not immediately available, Refuge’s advisors will be able to refer you to other types of services, talk through alternative housing options, and provide support and information on keeping safe.

You can also contact Shelter on their helpline 0808 800 4444 to discuss making an application for emergency housing in your local area.