For advice on who to talk to, call
Employment law advice for employees and employers in Notting Hill
A top 100 London-based law firm, we have around 200 highly regarded specialist solicitors and lawyers. Russell-Cooke has been meeting the legal requirements of London's businesses, organisations and individuals since 1880 and is within the largest 1% of solicitors' firms in the UK.
The employment law team at Russell-Cooke has been providing advice to employees at all levels of seniority in relation to all employment related issues for more than 20 years.
We are recognised as one of the leading employment law teams in London and the UK.
The employment law team at Russell-Cooke is one of few employment law teams that is legal directory rated, can meet the needs of clients in and around Notting Hill, and that specialises in advising employees and employers on all aspects of UK employment law.
We are one of a relatively small number of employment law teams that is highly recommended in The Legal 500 (the independent legal research directory), which notes that:
- "the 'strong and responsive' team at Russell-Cooke regularly represents senior executives in discrimination and whistleblowing claims and in disputes relating to share schemes, bonuses, commission, restrictive covenants and team moves" (2020)
- "Russell-Cooke's employment team are tenacious and committed litigators. They deliver appropriate and measured advice that gives clients confidence in their ability" (2019)
- Russell-Cooke's department provides "prompt and carefully thought-through advice" (2017)
Employment law advice for employees
Our employment law team has a broad base of employee clients.
We specialise in acting for senior executives and more junior employees within all industry sectors, including the retail and investment banking, private equity, legal, accountancy, insurance, media, technology, energy and education sectors.
The fact that our team of employment law solicitors so regularly act against many of the large banks and financial services businesses in the City of London (i.e. the Square Mile) and their advisers gives us additional insight and perspective that we can use to our clients' advantage. Members of our employment law team have represented some of the most senior members of these industries, including in seven figure disputes.
Areas that our employment lawyers advise employees on include:
- unfair dismissal, breach of contract, discrimination and/or whistleblowing
- claims relating to bonuses, commission and/or share entitlements
- restrictive covenants, including in connection with team moves
- minority shareholder rights
- shares and share options
- confidentiality and fiduciary duties
- individual redundancy
- collective redundancies
- bullying and harassment
- settlement agreements and settlement negotiations
We have very few conflicting interests with financial institutions in the City of London/the Square Mile or elsewhere in London.
The firm’s breadth of expertise and complementary practice areas means we can advise on complex multi-practice area cases that are beyond the scope of specialist or boutique teams that only advise on UK employment law.
Unusually for a highly rated employment law team, we are also able to act in claims in which our clients have legal expenses insurance. Indeed, many of the claims our employment law solicitors advise on are funded by legal expenses insurance and we have significant experience of liaising with legal expenses insurers on behalf of our clients.
Many of our employee clients live and/or work in or around Notting Hill, Kensington and Chelsea, the City of London/the Square Mile, Central London, West London, South West London or Canary Wharf, areas that are close to our various locations around London.
Employment law advice for employers
Our team of employment lawyers also advise employers on all employment related issues, ranging from London-based to national and multi-national 'household name' employers.
Areas that we advise businesses on include:
- defending unfair dismissal, breach of contract, discrimination and/or whistleblowing claims
- defending claims relating to bonuses, commission and/or share entitlements
- enforcing restrictive covenants and defending against team moves
- director duties
- confidential information
- individual redundancy
- collective redundancies
- transfer of undertakings protection of employment (TUPE)
- allegations of bullying
- data protection and workplace monitoring
Articles, know-how and publications
Members of our employment law team regularly write about developments in employment law and have contributed employment law related articles and commentary to national, legal and human resources publications such as The Times, The Financial Times, The Independent, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph, City AM, Employment Law Journal, Managing Partner, the International Bar Association's Employment and Industrial Relations Law Newsletter, Tolley’s Employment Law Newsletter, Solicitors Journal, Personnel Today, People Management, HR Magazine and HR News.
We are also responsible for the 'dismissal', 'resignation', 'references', 'employee status' and 'sick leave and pay' sections of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development's UK employment law guidance website, HR-inform. The CIPD is the world's largest chartered HR and development professional body.
A selection of our more recent employment law related articles, know-how and expert commentary can be found here:
- visit our service page to read our latest employment law articles for employees
- visit our service page to read our latest employment law articles for businesses
Our meeting rooms in Notting Hill
Our employment solicitors are able to meet the legal needs of clients based in Notting Hill and the surrounding areas (including Kensington and Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Belgravia, St John's Wood and Hampstead) in modern offices in the heart of Notting Hill, just off Kensington High Street, a short walk from Notting Hill Gate at:
Our solicitors and lawyers are based at our offices in Holborn (Central London), Putney (South West London), and Kingston (Surrey), but can also meet with clients to advise at our meeting rooms in Canary Wharf, the City of London and Cobham (Surrey).
We can also act on a 'remote' basis for employees and employers who are based throughout the UK, including in cities such as Birmingham, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Bristol, Nottingham, Cardiff, Oxford, Cambridge, Reading and Brighton.