"In my late mother’s will, she bequeathed a small paddock jointly to me and my brother. I am the administrator of her estate. Unfortunately, my brother will only communicate with me through solicitors.

The land is within the estate and I have obtained planning permission to build a home for myself on it. My brother told me through his solicitor that he will sell his share of the land.

As a way round it, if the land is put up for sale, could my son buy it at market price?"

Partner Gareth Ledsham appears in The Times Home Help 'problem of the week' section responding to a an inherited land dispute query.

How to deal with inherited land is available to read via subscription on The Times website. 

Gareth specialises in all types of work undertaken in trust and estate disputes, including bringing and defending challenges to wills; disputes with personal representatives; trust and estate administration disputes and bringing and defending claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975. 

Find out more about our expertise in family and inherited wealth disputes