Packing your bags for holiday is the easy part. Ensuring you know your legal rights to take your child abroad is not. So, before you pack your bags, where do you stand?

My child lives with me, what's the problem?

Even if you are the primary carer, the law says that before you take a child abroad, even for a holiday, you must seek the permission of all those with parental responsibility or get a court order. There are some exceptions to this and to be confident of your legal position, you may wish to consult a family solicitor.

Lauren Hall and Natasha Kirk appear in Elmbridge Magazine discussing the aspects to consider when taking your child abroad. 

Lauren is a senior associate in the family team. She helps clients resolve issues concerning their relationships and/or their children.

Natasha is an associate in the children law team. She is experienced in advising clients in a wide range of matters including adoption, children arrangements following separation or divorce, care proceedings and injunctions. Much of Natasha's work involves international clients.

Travelling Abroad With Your Child Elmbridge Magazine June 2019