A flat owner wrote to The Times to express concern for her long-term tenants who have been enduring strong cooking and cannabis smells from the flat below. She is worried they may get frustrated to the point of leaving.

She asks if she has any legal recourse to make the neighbours install proper ventilation to solve the problem.

Russell-Cooke partner Ed Cracknell answers in The Sunday Times' Home Help section and explains that the solution may not be as straightforward as it seems.

My neighbour is smoking weed. What can I do? is available to read on The Times' website via subscription.

Ed is a partner in the property and housing litigation team.

He specialises in all aspects of property litigation and property dispute resolution. His areas of expertise include landlord and tenant disputes, business lease renewals, rent and service charge recovery, possession proceedings, and dilapidations claims.