We advise on all aspects of UK taxation, with particular emphasis on inheritance and capital gains tax planning. Matters we advise on include:
- general estate planning and maximising IHT reliefs
- mitigating CGT on second properties
- disposing of a capital asset and maximising CGT reliefs
- creating trusts as a structure for maintaining family wealth
- advising on the pre-owned assets tax regime
- post-death tax planning
- creating and advising on the implications of personal injury trusts (where we can work together closely with our personal injury department)
- reviewing an existing trust post Finance Act 2006 and advising whether restructuring is required
- maximising agricultural property relief and business property relief
- advising entrepreneurs and family businesses on the application of entrepreneurs' relief and business property relief
In many cases early specialist advice can save very substantial amounts of tax. Tax advice can range from a simple 'health-check', such as advice on whether your family will be subject to an inheritance tax charge in the event of your death, to sophisticated tax planning arrangements. Our team has the flexibility to tailor advice to any individual's circumstances.
Our team and approach
- Our specialist taxation team offers the broad range of expertise and technical knowledge required to meet individual clients' needs, no matter how complex. The team includes Richard Frimston, who contributes a regular column on cross-border issues to the STEP journal and is a co-author of International Aspects of Family Law, published by family law organisation Resolution.
- We work closely with our specialist lawyers including our French, family and corporate & commercial departments to ensure clients are provided with seamless advice on matters such as inheritance tax, succession planning, capacity, trusts, international estates and taxation issues arising on divorce or civil partnership dissolution.
- Many of our lawyers are members of professional organisations such as the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and Solicitors for the Elderly.
- "Professional team that has a keen eye for detail" The Legal 500 (2019).
Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners
The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) is a unique professional body providing members with a local, national and international learning and business network focusing on the responsible stewardship of assets today and across the generations. STEP provides education, training, representation and networking for its members. Members advise clients on the broad business of the management of personal finance. Full members of STEP are the most experienced and senior practitioners in the field of trusts and estates.www.step.org
Private Client Practitioner Top 25 Law Firms
eprivateclient is the leading website and news service for private client practitioners, including lawyers, accountants, trustees and fee-based IFAs. It is the only place to see the results of the Private Client Practitioner Top 25 Law Firms, Top 25 Accountancy Firms, Top 25 Trust Companies, Top 25 IFA Companies, Top 35 Under 35 and 50 Most Influential.eprivateclient.com
Charges are usually based on our hourly rates plus administrative charges and disbursements. We will provide you with an initial estimate of your likely legal costs and will update this as your requirements or the circumstances of the work change.
We would be pleased to discuss your requirements and produce a costs estimate accordingly based on the type and complexity of the work involved.
Solicitors for the Elderly
Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE) is a national organisation of lawyers, such as solicitors, barristers, and legal executives who are committed to providing and promoting robust, comprehensive and independent legal advice for older and vulnerable people, their family and carers.Click here for further information
The Law Society
The Law Society is the representative body for solicitors in England and Wales.www.lawsociety.org.uk
The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) is a unique professional body providing members with a local, national and international learning and business network focusing on the responsible stewardship of assets today and across the generations. STEP provides education, training, representation and networking for its members. Members advise clients on the broad business of the management of personal finance. Full members of STEP are the most experienced and senior practitioners in the field of trusts and estates.Click here for further information