We advise on all the legal aspects of separation including financial provision for the children of unmarried parents.

Most unmarried parents seeking financial provision for their children when separating will turn to the Child Maintenance Service, which is primarily responsible for assessing and enforcing child maintenance.

However in some cases, the court has powers to make orders for further financial provision for the children of unmarried parents, including:

  • top-up orders for child maintenance where the non-resident parent’s income exceeds £156,000 gross per annum
  • provision of a home for the child and resident parent during a child’s minority
  • lump sums to meet one-off costs for the child’s needs, for example a car
  • educational expenses
  • costs attributable to a disability

Our solicitors have considerable experience in all areas of the law relating to financial provision for children.

All of our solicitors are members of Resolution and are committed to taking a non-confrontational approach. We always look to achieve the best possible outcome for you, whilst ensuring that the family’s interests are considered as a priority.

The Legal 500 (2022) describes our practice as "unique in that as well as routinely undertaking the high value financial remedy work, it also has a thriving legal aid children practice which is highly unusual in the market."

If you would like to speak with a member of the team you can contact our family law solicitors; Holborn office 020 3826 7526; Kingston office 020 3826 7527 or Putney office 020 3826 7520 or complete our enquiry form.

Our hourly rates are competitive, offering value for money. 

Charges are usually based on our hourly rates plus administrative charges and disbursements. We will provide you with an initial estimate of your likely legal costs and will update this as your requirements or the circumstances of the work change.