The first time a charity takes on property it will generally be a lease. Commercial property issues and terminology are often very new and daunting for charity tenants, and it is important to understand this when negotiating, as well as the technical legal issues for charities taking leases that need to be taken into account.
In this MBL seminar, charity and social business partner, Andrew Small, will cover a range of topics including:
- legal forms for charities and what it means for them taking a lease
- does charity law require things to be done differently when taking a lease?
- personal guarantees - why they shouldn’t be used for charities
- VAT, SDLT and business rates - the issues for charities and how that impacts negotiation
- ways of limiting a charity’s liability under a lease
- exiting a lease and sharing occupation - key priorities for charities
London - Monday 25 March 2019 - 2:00pm-5:15pm
Leeds - Monday 10 June 2019 - 2:00pm-5:15pm