Chambers UK 2020 has once again recognised Russell-Cooke as Band 1 firm in both Children Law and Real Estate Law and five partners in Band 1 across a range of practice areas.
Chambers UK is a guide to the UK's leading law firms and lawyers. The rankings and commentary are based on positive recommendation derived from thousands of research interviews with clients, peers and co-professionals and validated by current and recent examples of work. Only a very small proportion of the teams and lawyers working in each practice area receive a ranking.
In the new edition of the guide, family law partners Fiona Read and James Carroll have for the first time been given Band 1 status in Family/matrimonial ADR, bringing the firm's Band 1 partner numbers to five. Also top-ranked are Senior Partner John Gould in Professional Discipline, Samantha Little in Children Law and Jae Carwardine in Crime. Senior associate Eva Akins has been named a Star Associate for the first time. In all 24 of the firm's lawyers from across 15 practice areas are ranked.
Russell-Cooke teams are ranked as follows (Band 1 rankings marked with asterisk):
- Charities – UK-wide described as a "strong commercial offering with regard to restructuring, mergers, asset transfers, financing and property law"
- Children: Cross-Border Disputes – London "the quality of legal knowledge is high and they give excellence family law advice"
- Children: Public Law Matters – London* "possesses noted expertise in public care and safeguarding work, including forced marriage"
- Clinical Negligence: Mainly Claimant – London "accomplished team assisting clients with complex and sensitive cases ranging in value and severity"
- Crime – London "an excellent firm with great attention to detail"
- Family/matrimonial - London "versatile, well-regarded family department"
- Professional Discipline – UK-wide "held in high esteem for its regulatory work in the legal, financial and healthcare sectors"
- Real Estate Litigation – London "excellent property litigators" giving "fantastic service to clients"
- Real Estate: Lower Mid-Market – London* Band 1 "excellent team" which is "responsive, efficient, commercial, accurate and cost-effective"
- Social Housing: Tenants – UK-wide "well-regarded team acting for tenants on the full range of housing issues"
The firm is a Recognised Firm in Planning.
Chambers High Net Worth 2020 was published in July 2019 and ranked the firm in Private Wealth Law and Family/matrimonial.
Russell-Cooke Senior Partner John Gould said: "We are delighted that Chambers has recognised six of our lawyers at Band 1 and Star Associate status this year and that we have maintained our Band 1 rankings in Children Law and Real Estate. It is gratifying to receive external recognition of our commitment to high quality across so many areas of our practice. Excellent client service, pragmatism and empathy are themes running through the comments received by teams and individuals. In a firm with a broad practice demanding different skills and personality types, the common thread is our more thoughtful, client-centred approach. Our aim is always to do the right thing for our clients."