Andrew is a partner in the charity and social business team advising charities, social enterprises, trade associations and other membership and not-for-profit organisations on a wide range of charity and company law issues and commercial matters.
His expertise include constitutional and governance matters, commercial and service delivery contracts, mergers and incorporations, grant funding arrangements, joint ventures, collaborative working arrangements and reorganisations.
Andrew regularly gives talks and seminars for charities and not-for-profit organisations on governance matters, mergers, collaborative working, and the implications of contracting for public services.
Andrew trained and spent over ten years at a leading international law firm advising on mergers and acquisitions including two years running their India office in New Delhi and was a partner at another leading firm advising the charity sector. He joined Russell-Cooke as a partner in the charity and social business team in May 2008.
- Andrew advised Impetus on its bid to manage the £200 million Youth Endowment Fund including structuring and documenting its partnership with Social Investment Business and Early Intervention Foundation (partners in delivering YEF) and on its negotiations with the Home Office and the grant agreement. The project also involved setting up a new charitable trust to hold and administer the grant, related governance arrangements and operational agreements such as grant distribution and evaluation agreements
- Advising, with colleagues in our regulatory team, the Fundraising Regulator on its investigation and report in relation to a charity alleged to have breached the Fundraising Code
- Advising Breast Cancer Now on its merger with Breast Cancer Care, one of the largest mergers in the sector during 2019
- Advising Unicef UK on its Soccer Aid campaign including establishing a joint venture vehicle, on its contractual arrangements with various third parties including broadcaster ITV and on various trademark licensing arrangements
- Advising an insolvency act administrator in the context of its appointment to a corporate trustee of an insolvent unincorporated care charity, including the disposal of a care home and the transfer of the remaining charitable funds to a new corporate trustee via Charity Commission scheme
- Advising access – the Foundation for Social Investment, the social investment wholesaler, on new governance arrangements with its "parent company" Big Society Trust
- Advising charity, Remembered, well known for its iconic "Tommy", widely used in remembrance events, on its closure and the transfer of rights to use the Tommy to Royal British Legion Industries
- Advising on the establishment of a new charity to run the Schistosomiasis Control Initiative, SCI Foundation, a project previously hosted by Imperial College which works in Sub-Saharan Africa to eliminate parasitic worm infections which are estimated to infect over 1 billion people in some of the world's poorest communities
- Andrew has advised a number of corporate foundations (charities established by a related commercial organisation) on their establishment and on related governance matters especially in the context of revised guidance from the Charity Commission
- Advising on numerous sector mergers in particular Action for Blind People on its merger with RNIB, Arthritis Care on its merger with Arthritis Research UK, and Beating Bowel Cancer on its merger with Bowel Cancer UK
- Advising 4Children's trustee board on their duties in relation to the financial position of the charity, its subsequent administration and the transfer of much of its business to Action for Children
- Advising Catch 22 on its merger with Only Connect and subsequently advising Community Links Trust on becoming a member of the wider Catch 22 group
- Advising World Vision on a number of fundraising and data management related matters
- Voluntary Service Overseas on their arrangements with the Department for International Development and subcontractors on the International Citizen Service
- Andrew is ranked in the Hall of Fame in The Legal 500 (2021)
- Member of the Charity Law Association and has contributed to a number of working parties
- Sat on the Finance and Audit Committee of Care International UK for 10 years
- Trustee of Seebeyondborders UK, a charity which supports the development of teachers in Cambodia