Clare Jeffries is a partner in the private client team.
Clare advises a broad range of families and individual clients about Wills and administration of estates with a particular emphasis on inheritance tax planning. She also puts in place Lasting Powers of Attorney and advises on applications to the Court of Protection for consent to make lifetime gifts if someone has lost mental capacity. Clare sets up Trusts and advises on their running, regulation and administration. Clare is a recommended adviser by Mencap and a number of the Trusts have a disabled beneficiary. She regularly advises entrepreneurs and the owners of family businesses about succession planning.
Clare takes a pragmatic and empathetic approach, guided by the particular circumstances and concerns of each client to suggest the course of action that is best suited to them.
Clare enjoys working with other professional advisers on behalf of a client so that they have the benefit of a co-ordinated approach and know that each aspect has been covered.
Clare qualified in 1989 and joined Russell-Cooke as a partner in November 2020.
- Preparing Wills for complex family structures including those with a wide range of relationships to be taken into account.
- Administering the estate of a client who had assets in multiple jurisdictions, children from a marriage and a subsequent civil partnership – involving liaising with Spanish lawyers, where the tax treatment of relationships is very different, and together producing a tax-efficient solution for all parties.
- Preparing a Will and multiple trusts for an entrepreneur client who wanted to benefit a range of individuals and charities beyond his spouse – and subsequently administering the estate which involved complex planning in Switzerland.
- Acting as Trustee of a Trust which owned the majority interest in an iconic British company. I have been involved in a sale of those shares and have now to take decisions which will involve Court approval about distribution of the significant proceeds.
- Inheritance Tax and Capital Gains Tax planning for a terminally ill client.
- A wide-range of Wills and Estate Planning advice that is on the face of it not especially complex but is made interesting and enjoyable by the relationship formed with the individuals concerned.
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation
- Member of Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners
- Member of Solicitors for the Elderly
- Gained a first class law degree from Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge
- Distinction in the Law Society Finals
- Became a Chartered Tax Adviser in 1991
- STEP Advanced Certificate in Business Succession Planning