For advice on who to talk to, call
We offer specialist, bilingual expertise to clients who require advice on all aspects of buying or selling a property in France.
Common issues where our team can help include:
- the sale and purchase of French immovable property
- terms of the initial contract and supporting documentation, including proposed amendments or modifications
- liaising with the French notaire and other French advisers
- making the necessary enquiries about matters such as planning issues, drainage and rights of way.
- the ownership structure in the light of French succession law and tax
- the purchase deed
- French tax consequences arising from the transaction
The French team has launched its own dedicated French property website which provides a comprehensive resource for people looking to buy a property or with property interests in France. Visit www.frenchpropertylaw.co.uk.
- All members of the team from our lawyers to our administrative assistants and support staff are bilingual. Our team of lawyers has first hand knowledge of the interaction of the French and English legal systems. We have huge experience in the field of French property and succession and are frequently asked to act as expert witness on matters of French laws in legal proceedings conducted in the UK. Much of our work comes from referrals from other lawyers and professional firms.
- We belong to the relevant professional associations including the Franco-British Lawyers Society, the French Chamber of Commerce and STEP UK and STEP France (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners).
- Our French Law and Property team is led by Dawn Alderson, an experienced bilingual avocat and solicitor qualified in both French and English law. Dawn practised in France for over a decade before joining Russell-Cooke in 2000.
- Dawn works closely with:
- Patrick Delas who has qualified as a French avocat in 1995 and deals with a wide range of matters relating to French property ownership including advice on acquisition, inheritance and tax law.
- Julie Pinto who is a qualified French Notaire with particular experience in the purchase and sale of properties, French inheritance law and wills.
- Judith Backo who is trained as a notaire (diplômée notaire France) and worked for more than five years in several notarial firms, most of them being based in the French Alps, before moving to London.
- They all have extensive experience of French law that comes only from working in France and an extensive network of French contacts.
Dawn Alderson is a member of STEP (the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners). STEP is the leading worldwide body for practitioners in the fields of trusts, estates and related issueswww.step.org
Avocat au Barreau de Bordeaux
Dawn Alderson dual-qualified solicitor in England & Wales and Avocat au Barreau de Bordeaux (French practising avocat).www.barreau-bordeaux.avocat.fr
Avocat au Barreau de Paris
Patrick Delas dual-qualified solicitor in England & Wales and Avocat au Barreau de Paris (French practising avocat).www.avocatparis.org
Véronique Cardon is a Diplômée Notaire.www.notaires.fr
Private Client Practitioner Top 25 Law Firms
eprivateclient is the leading website and news service for private client practitioners, including lawyers, accountants, trustees and fee-based IFAs. It is the only place to see the results of the Private Client Practitioner Top 25 Law Firms, Top 25 Accountancy Firms, Top 25 Trust Companies, Top 25 IFA Companies, Top 35 Under 35 and 50 Most Influential.eprivateclient.com
For more than 50 years the CRIDON LYON has been the expert legal advisor for notaires and their collaborators. Created in 1962, the CRIDON LYON is a 'Groupement d’Interet Economique' (GIE) [group of economic interest] whose members are the 28 departmental (provincial) chambers of notaires located around the Rhin-Rhone-Mediterranean area and representing more than 3,000 notaires. A board of three administrators and a counsel of 12 members, all notaires elected by the general meeting ensure the CRIDON LYON governance. The GIE executive management ensures the operational function of the company. Its 76 collaborators undertake daily legal consulting services in all main areas of law (domestic and international), training, documentation input in paper or digital format.www.cridon-lyon.fr
We work on hourly rates which reflect the skill and experience of our French qualified lawyers (who in most cases are also English solicitors), and other bilingual members of the team.
At the outset we will let you have an estimate or budget of the likely costs based on the information available to us at the time and will update these if your requirements or the circumstances of the case change.
We will work with you and your other professional advisers to find a solution which is effective across boundaries and taking into account not only the level of risk which you are prepared to accept but also the relative financial importance of the matter to you.