Whether as their lawyer or as a mediator, I specialise in helping people and organisations avoid or resolve disputes about property. I particularly enjoy learning about their buildings and how they work.
Jason specialises in the avoidance or resolution of property disputes (using Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) or litigation).
He advises on all areas of property dispute, including about landlord and tenant law boundaries, party walls, restrictive covenants, trespass, rights of way, and rights of light.
Jason established the team's highly regarded service to well-known investors in the private rented sector, in particular Grainger, Get Living and Tipi. The service is now led by Stephen Small.
Jason is responsible and proactive.
Legal 500 (2022)
Many of Jason's clients own very high value residential property, particularly in prime central London.
Jason is an experienced mediator (accredited with ADR Group (1997) and CEDR (2018)).
Jason Hunter gives excellent strategic advice and overview.
- With colleagues in the planning team, helping a client stop his landlord pursuing rooftop development above his central London apartment
- Assisting clients gain access to neighbouring land to enable repairs to be undertaken to their property, using the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992 where necessary
- Successfully mediating substantial dilapidations claims for damages between former landlords and tenants, including one case where the impact of Covid had an impact on the valuation of the claim
- Regularly helping parties resolve or avoid disputes about alterations and related trespass claims
- Acting for an off-shore company in a dispute with an occupier of its London property about whether or not there was a property contract or a proprietary estoppel in the occupier's favour
- Challenging or enforcing party wall act awards, including a challenge to an award of security for expenses set very high, a challenge to the method of construction of a very large wall and opposing a challenge to an award determining costs and fees
- Advising the owner of a central London office building in its dispute with the owner and tenant of a neighbouring building about a trespass and the cessation of rights over the building
- Successfully mediating a three-party dispute between a flat owner, a developer and a restaurant occupier about claimed representations and infringements of property rights
- Advising a residents management company at a prestigious block of flats about a range of property management problems and neighbourly matters, including data protection harassment and nuisance issues
- Helping a well-known developer resolve various service charge and lease breach problems on four of its London projects
Individuals come to me with issues and I recommend Jason Hunter every time.
- Member of the Pyramus & Thisbe Society, an organisation promoting excellence in party wall practice
- Member of the Property Litigation Association and was its chairman in 2003/4
- Member of the Party Wall Mediation scheme
- Member of the Wandsworth Mediation Service commercial mediator panel
Jason is a senior statesperson that puts client service at the forefront of what he does, is super responsive and explains things to lay clients in a really digestible way.
- 'Business Tenancies: A guide to the new law' (Law Society 2004)
- 'Dilapidations' (RICS Case in Point series, 2006; 2nd Ed on-line 2012)
- Contributed to the online RICS projects 'isurv Commercial Property' and 'isurv Dilapidations'