Jane is described as a "very approachable, responsive and supportive" in The Legal 500 (2017) and frequently contributes to employment law and human resources publications such as the Chartered Institute of Personal Management and Charity Finance Magazine.
She also provides regular training on employment law for clients and in partnership with the Charity Finance Group, the Directory of Social Change and Prospectus.
Jane’s work includes:
- disputes with staff
- disciplinaries, grievance, restructuring and redundancy
- handling performance management
- managing absence
- responding to complaints of discrimination
- advising on cases of whistleblowing
- managing organisational change including large and small scale redundancies, restructures and mergers
- advising on the application of the Transfer of Undertakings Regulations (TUPE) 2006
- drafting and reviewing employment documentation including contracts, consultancy agreements, staff handbooks and volunteer agreements
- maternity and parental rights
- drafting and negotiating settlement agreements
- defending employment Tribunal claims
- data protection advice
- health and safety
- Advising on the transfer of staff under the TUPE regulations in a large number of mergers and transfers
- Drafting a staff handbook for the international charity Movember
- Undertaking HR due diligence in relation to the merger of two national charities providing services to blind people
- Advising a higher education institution on the harmonisation of employment contracts across faculties for full time, fractional and hourly paid lecturers
- Reviewing the employment contracts and staff policies of four merging regeneration charities with a view to future harmonisation
- Successfully defending a higher education institution against whistleblowing claims
- Successfully defending a claim of religious discrimination and discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation
- Described in The Legal 500 (2017) as "excellent" and "very approachable, responsive and supportive"
- Member of the Independent Monitoring Board of Brixton Prison July 2015 - December 2017
- Member of the Employment Lawyers Association (ELA)
- Member of the Charity Law Association
- Sat on the trustee boards of Parenting UK (now Family Lives) and Children First Lewisham.
Jane studied English at Lady Margaret Hill Oxford before training as a solicitor.
Jane qualified as a solicitor in 1987.