For advice on who to talk to, call
We offer specialist advice to clients who are facing money-laundering charges or subject to restraint orders. Legal aid is normally available for these types of allegations.
Money laundering is an important issue for those working in the financial sector, professional people such as solicitors and accountants, and some private individuals.
- Professionals working within the regulated financial sector are required to make enquiries as to the identity of their client and the nature of the transactions.
- Professionals such as solicitors and accountants are required to inform the National Intelligence Service if they know or suspect that money laundering is taking place. If they fail to do so they can face the prospect of a criminal conviction and a prison sentence. It is an offence for a professional to tip off a client that such a disclosure has been made to the authorities.
- Private individuals arrested for criminal offences can also face money laundering charges if they are suspected to have gained financially through criminal activity.
People charged with money laundering offences are often made the subject of a restraint order early in an investigation. Obtaining the correct advice at this stage is important as there is often a requirement to disclose financial details to the prosecution. There is also often a duty to ensure that any moveable assets held outside the UK are rapidly brought within UK jurisdiction.
- We are recognised as one of the leading criminal solicitors in the UK, with an international reputation. The team is highly rated by lawyers' directory The Legal 500, and Jae Cawardine is recognised as a leader in her field.
- The Legal 500 (2022) ranks our team in Tier 2 where we are described as "absolutely top notch for the discerning client." Our experts "manage to balance clear sighted, incisive tactical and strategic advice, alongside fantastic client care. Clients obviously and rightly feel like they are in good hands, and that their lawyers are on their side."
- We are one of the few firms recognised by the Legal Services Commission to undertake cases involving serious fraud, large-scale or serious crime, money laundering, terrorism and other high-profile cases.
- We have Legal Services Commission franchises enabling us to undertake most areas of work for publicly-funded clients
Charges are usually based on our hourly rates plus administrative charges and disbursements. We will provide you with an initial estimate of your likely legal costs and will update this as your requirements or the circumstances of the work change.
Legal aid can often be available for those being investigated and charged with this type of offence.
If legal aid is not available, we would be pleased to discuss your requirements and produce a costs estimate accordingly based on the type and complexity of the work involved.