Five questions and answers with surrogacy law experts

Sarah Richardson, Partner in the Russell-Cooke Solicitors, family and children team.
Sarah Richardson
6 min Runtime

Whether you are planning to grow your family through surrogacy, adoption, co-parenting or donor conception, we understand that working with trusted and experienced professionals is important. Our specialist lawyers can help you with advice and representation if you are creating your family. See our children and family building page. 

Our specialist fertility legal and adoption lawyers answer some frequently asked questions surrounding surrogacy law (including international surrogacy law).

In this video we cover:

  • Is surrogacy legal? 00:00:43
  • How do you find a surrogate in the United Kingdom? 00:01:12
  • Can you pay a surrogate in the UK? 00:01:46
  • If you have a child through surrogacy, who goes on the child’s birth certificate? 00:02:20
  • Can I make arrangements with a surrogate who is not based in the United Kingdom? 00:03:20
  • What other areas do you think people may need advice on that we can offer at Russell-Cooke? 00:04:35


Jade is an associate in the children team with expertise in fertility law. She advises clients on a broad range of domestic and international children law issues including child arrangements, known donor/co-parenting, legal parenthood and relocation disputes. She is particularly experienced in advising non-traditional and LGBTQ+ families and often appears before the High Court in complex cases.

Sarah is a partner in the children and education law team. She specialises in complex cases involving vulnerable adults and children during care proceedings and family disputes such as child arrangement orders and contact.

Get in touch

If you would like to speak with a member of the team you can contact our children law solicitors by email, by telephone on +44 (0)20 3826 7528 or complete our enquiry form.

Video International Family and children