Alison is the firm's Joint Managing Partner and leads the contentious trust and succession team advising a range of clients (private individuals, charities, trustees, administrators and beneficiaries) on the complete range of succession, probate and trust disputes.
She routinely acts in trust and succession/inheritance disputes as well as claims for the removal of fiduciaries, rectification and variation issues, administration disputes and professional negligence issues in relation to trusts and estates.
As part of a larger team, Alison also acts in an advisory and risk management capacity in advising on asset protection or succession planning, particularly in a multi-generational family business context or in the context of divorce proceedings.
With experience in mediation as well as litigation, Alison is known to try and resolve disputes as quickly and cost efficiently wherever possible, but is also a tenacious litigator where she needs to be.
Alison qualified in 2002 and became a partner in 2010.
- Cross border succession dispute: acting in a complex dispute as to the law that will govern the succession to an estate straddling several common law and civil law jurisdictions.
- Stevanovic v Knyvett  214 (Fam)  EWHC 381 (Fam): successfully defending a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 and opposing an application for interim maintenance under section 5 of the Act as well as an application for relief from sanctions. This is the first reported case to consider the merits requirements of an application for interim maintenance.
- Cross border domicile dispute: acting for a civil partner in a dispute concerning allegations of rights of civil law forced heirship, domicile (England, Israel, Turkey) and the impact of an English Civil Partnership.
- Forfeiture: advising on the likelihood of forfeiting an inheritance, arising in the context of a French criminal prosecution
- Contentious multi-jurisdictional estate (England/Cyprus): advising in the administration of a contentious multi-jurisdictional estate with issues regarding residence, domicile and an application to the court for a blessing order.
- Canadian estate: acting for the widow in a valuable cross border succession and administration dispute straddling England, Canada and the US.
- Cohabitees and beneficial interests: acted for the administrator of an estate in the Court of Appeal case Graham-York v York  EWCA Civ 72 involving disputed family property interests and a succession dispute.
- Russell-Cooke Trust Company (RCTC) – Cypriot-English estate (find out more)
- Russell-Cooke Trust Company (RCTC) – Mutual wills (find out more)
- a member of ACTAPS (Association of Contentious Trust and Probate Specialists)
- a member of STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners)
- one of the few Private Client members of Resolution
- an accredited mediator through CEDR (Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution)
- a ranked lawyer in Chambers HNW (2022) for private wealth disputes and is a leading individual in The Legal 500 (2022).
- featured in the Private Client Global Elite 2022/23.
Alison grew up in South Africa and read law at the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg before converting her degree at the College of Law, London.