Fiona is a partner and head of the family team in Putney.
She has extensive experience in all aspects of family law. Fiona frequently handles cases with an international element and which often involve high value financial settlements in divorce, disputed arrangements with children (including re-location to other countries) pre and post-nuptial agreements and co-habitation and property disputes. She is also noted for her expertise in matrimonial finance work.
As an accredited mediator, collaborative practitioner and a family law (both for finance and children) arbitrator, she is a leader in the field of family dispute resolution.
Fiona sits part-time as a District Judge in the family and civil courts and has been elected to hear private children disputes between parents. This valuable insight and unique perspective into the workings of the courts directly benefits her family practice.
Fiona is personable and keen to resolve issues as quickly as possible. Her aim is to guide her clients, through what is often a complex process, using a method that suits the case in order to obtain the best outcome.
- "[Fiona] is clear-headed, insightful and very bright, with a commercial rigour unusual in family work." Chambers HNW (2019)
- "Clever, insightful and empathetic" The Legal 500 (2019)
- Chambers HNW (2018) describe her as "really bright, a great lawyer, easy to work with, firm, but open to sensible negotiation, and had the client's interest at heart all the time. She is clear and the clients like the way she helps them to fully understand their options."
- Named as a leading family lawyer of 2018 by Spear's Magazine
- Chambers UK (2018) describe Fiona as "absolutely brilliant" with interviewees holding her in high regard, stating "she is very seasoned and absolutely knows what she is doing." She is also noted for her expertise in matrimonial finance work.
- Recognised in The Legal 500 (2017) as a 'leader in her field'. Described as "a first-class brain", "can mediate difficult disputes (with difficult people) effectively"
- Citywealth Leaders List 2018 recognises her as having expertise "in both the financial and children aspects of the field. She is formidable both as a litigator and a negotiator."
- Citywealth Leaders List 2017 describes her as “formidable both as a litigator and a negotiator”.
- Identified as a "prominent figure" and a "power woman" in the Citywealth Leaders List (2015)
- International Committee member of Resolution, a specialist organisation for families and lawyers committed to dealing with family cases in a constructive and conciliatory manner
- Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Founding member of the Institute of Family Law Arbitrators, an organisation which was responsible for all family arbitrations in the country
- Accredited mediator, collaborative practitioner and a family law arbitrator
- Part-time District Judge in the family and civil courts
- Praised by The Legal 500 (2016) for “getting the job done quickly and cost-effectively” and being “wonderfully supportive, caring and knowledgeable”
- The Legal 500 (2015), comments that “Fiona Read ensures that everyone immediately trusts her and is calmed by her presence’”, and that she can “achieve excellent outcomes”
- Listed in Thomas Reuters London Super Lawyers List of (2015)
- Contributor to the publication, ‘International aspects of Family Law’ which is produced online for Resolution